Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 00:26:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts and ideas, and quirks

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> > 4.) This has probably been debated endlessly, however I'd like to offer my
> > two cents.  I honestly think that rpm style packages (meaning no more
> > split up tarballs, and no huge 70mb bin distrib) are way more convenient
> > and easier to manage.
>
> This is not a view we all share.  8)

Who would I be if I agreed with everyone *smirk*.

> > more descriptive.  On the other hand, I noticed that the x packages
> > installed quicker (they're in .tgz format not split up tarballs) off my
> > fat partition than did the huge tarballs 100+k/s faster on average.
>
> The speed reported by the installer is the rate of reading on the source
> file; it has nothing to do with whether the data is chunked or not.

Well, it was off the same local FAT16 partition, so it seems to me that
the installer is doing less work.  Could just be me. Those 240k chunks
still bug me.  They remind me of Slackware Linux *shudder*.

> > 5.) On the whole bsd vs sysv init scheme. Since I'm sure that there is no
> > chance of FreeBSD inherriting a sysv style init, I was wonderin if maybe
> > a comprimise would be in order?  Perhaps having the bsd scripts, turn into
> > sysv style directories so rc.i386 is a directory and contains things like
> > say S52linuxemu, etc, etc. Comments?
>
> There is a compromise already in place; /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

Cool, I should check out /usr/local/etc more.

- alex