Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:50:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, ggm@connect.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE vs SCSI was: flags 80ff works (like anybody doubted it)

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Atipa wrote:

> My thoughts exactly. Depending on the card and driver level, SCSI is
> actually slower in many cases. Similar IDE drives outperformed SCSIs
> unsing a 2940UW w/ 2.1.5-RELEASE. 2.2 kernels and above have noticably
> faster Adaptec drivers. Haven't played much with the NCR, but I
> think I heard the ncr.c does not support ultra or ultra-wide. True?

My AHA-1542 with a Quantum Lightning was glacial, the oldish WD 212mb hdd
I had out preformed it easily.

> I definitely recommend IDE for workstations and medium demand servers.
> However, SCSI will still have its market. When expandability and performance
> are key, SCSI is the only solution (for now!). Maybe fibre-channel will
> start to get more popular...

No way.  Any server is usually mission critical, and parity checking is a
MUST for anything near mission critical. IDE doesn't do that. IMO a big no
no. That and from what I've heard scsi outpreforms ide with multiple
commands and the like, a simple dd if=/dev/zero won't show this at all.

> Kevin

- alex