Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 12:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM drives in general

Is it just me, or is this normal?
I noticed after upgrading a few months ago from an old 2X Panasonic
interface CDROM drive to an 8X ATAPI that audio cds skip alot easier when
the table my machine is sitting on it subjected to even the smallest shock
(i.e. me slamming my fists down during the construction of some rebellious
code), i'm not sure what the explanation would be for this, but I was
thinking it was possibly due to the faster seek time which probably equals
a stepper motor connected with a smaller pitch screw to the head, hmm? Or
maybye it is just the drive, anyway doesn't make much sense to me since
the thing can buffer about 1.5 seconds of data, should be able to seek
back after a shock fast enough --- maybye not.