Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 20:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>
Subject:   Re: NAT for dialups?

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Richard Hodges wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 lashby@texramp.net wrote:
> -snip-
> > I did a quick test with ether/ether on a 486/100 with 2.2.2  It
> > worked surprisingly well.  I tested web, ftp, irc, news, realaudio,
> > and MS file & print services.  FTP pooped out around 400K/second,
> > about half what it should be (CPU utilization: around 30%), but
> > normal web browsing seemed as good (or better!) than before.
>
> I've done some FreeBSD routing performance test 2 weeks ago and figured
> out that a P133 with 16Megs RAM and two 3c90x FastEthernet cards can
> easy route at full (!) Ethernet speed between it. I've got about
> 8-9 Megs a second (and one segment has a little bit other traffic).
> That is impressive (try to calculate what a Cisco router costs...).
> I'm going to make more of this routing performance test with an
> controlled environment and some HSSI cards (how mutch is a SDL-T3
> card?).

So all we need now is an encryption module and voila instant VPN tunnels.

This would be an incredibly good feature that would cause people to think
twice about full blown FW and Ciscos costing $10K and up!!

Regards,

Andrew Webster                              andrew@pubnix.net
Key fingerprint =  CF E8 16 B8 A6 DB E3 C9  83 E7 96 24 25 58 15 6E
PubNIX Montreal    Connected to the world   Branche au monde
P.O. Box 147       Cote Saint Luc, Quebec   H4V 2Y3
tel 514.990.5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514.990.9443