Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 23:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreBSD Dialer

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Hello, is there a TCP/IP dialer available for FreeBSD?
>
> No.  TCP and IP do not define dialing, so there is no such thing as a
> TCP/IP dialer.  If you mean a dialup IP link, yes, there are several.
> Look for the PPP and SLIP implementations.
>
> If this isn't what you're talking about, could you please explain what
> you want to do?
>
> Greg

Maybe he just wants to dial the modem and then make a ppp or slip
connection.

Kermit (in the ports collection) will dial the modem.
ppp uses a chat script to dial the modem (I think).
cu also dials the modem
the dip program, which creates a slip connection...actually I'm not
sure how it dials the modem.

	Annelise