Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:08:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        felix@royal.net
Cc:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP - Has anyone seen this?

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Aled Treharne wrote:

> > It shouldn't stop su to root since it's long after inetd gets through.  It
> > shouldn't do anything to ftp either, unless it never gets started.  What
> > error messages are you seeing?
>
> When I log in I get
> inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense

> and then the login carries on as normal. FTP logins get the same error
> after logging in but the connection is immediately closed again. When I
> tried to su I got something like
> Cannot malloc()
> or something like that - I'm not sure since I have no longer been able to
> reproduce the error. In fact the whole problem seem to be very strange
> since it comes and goes. We also had another problem today with the
> server running out of swap space. Very strange since only 2 users were
> logged in one was idle (only process was shell) and the other was using
> pine. Pine decided to hog all the memory and the server went ape.

What version of Pine is this?  Versions <3.96 are known to have
hang-and-suck-memory bugs.  Check top or vmstat -pigs for
out-of-control processes, and kill them.  Also keep an eye on swap usage
using top or swapinfo.

How much physical memory and swap do you have, anyway?

> I'm totally at a loss as to what could possibly cause this. Is this a
> problem with 2.2.5?

Not that I've noticed, but I have 40MB of RAM in this machine, and it's
difficult to get it to swap.