Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:16:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      sporkl <spork@dti.net>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X

Hello.

	I got X to start, yippee. You can go "X vtXX", to specify a
virtual terminal to run it on. I specifed vt1, which I was looking at at
the time. It scrolled a bunch of text quickly, looked like a series of
things like

(..)<text>

	The screen went blank for about a milisecond, and then white
flashes of horizontal light started going crazy all over the place and
they would flash out of the center of the screen and then disappear, amid
a strange clicking noise. I thought this looked rather like a
misconfigured monitor, so I shut it off. I rebooted, my monitor worked,
all was good. No X.

	I called the people who sold me the computer, they said that they
included a booklet on my monitor. The previous settings for Hsync and
Vsync came from a web-site unaffiliated with my monitor's manufacturer. I
reconfigured X with new Hsync and Vsync settings, 30-50 and 50-100 Khz
respectively. I tried again, and the same thing happened. I turned it off
again, put the numbers back in to make sure I had not screwed it up, and
it still went bonkers and clicked amid flashing. My monitor handbook has a
little asterick leading from my frequency section to a note at the
bottom of the page, which reads "Requires correct adapter card". I have an
ET4000/W32 VL-BUS, which is what the computer came with, so I hoped my
frequencies were correct.

	Should I not boot the X server on a virtual terminal I am looking
at? Is the flashing normal (I don't think so, but you never know...)?

	The monitor is non-interlaced SVGA, and it says it has a maximum
resolution of 1024x768 non-interlaced. The sync signals are TTL positive
or negative, and it has never done anything remotely like this in the
past.

	Of possible interest, on about one out of every ten boot attempts
the monitor screen stays blank and powered-on, but it does not display
anything. I can hear my RAM check going on, and then the floppy reads to
look for a boot disk, but I can't see anything. When I reboot the
computer manually, everything works fine. Could my monitor be missing pins
in it's connector? I will look.

	For some reason I don't have <Xroot>/lib/X11/doc, so I can't read
the monitors file. If anybody could, it would be wonderful if you could
tell me if there was an "Arche 214AH autoscan" monitor in there. Please
send any help you can, thank you.

 -Spike Gronim
  sporkl@dti.net

	"Tradition is the chastity belt of the mind"