Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 00:05:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem mounting /cdrom w/ 2.2.5-R (fwd)

Joerg,

Actually, if I force it with either mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0a or mount -t
cd9660 /dev/cd0a it *always* works.  If I mount it explicitly and then
umount the drive, then try it again w/ mount /cdrom it still fails.  I've
tried repeating mount /cdrom numerous times in a row, but it still refuses
to mount the cdrom using that method.  I'll try again tomorrow and post my
results (the machine's at work, I'm a home, I forgot to leave a cd in the
drive).   I assumed the media not present erorr was just the cdrom
complaining about being booted w/o a cd.

- burton -

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Burton Sampley wrote:
>
> > I just completed a new install of 2.2.5-R on to a 'virgin' HD at work.
> > I'm having a strange problem I don't understand.  If I try to mount a
> > cdrom with mount /cdrom (as root) I get the following error:
> >
> > root@thingie(101)# mount /cdrom
> > cd9660: /dev/cd0a: Device not configured
>
> This corresponds to:
>
> > npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
> > npx0: INT 16 interface
> > changing root device to sd0a
> > cd0(ahc0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> > cd0(ahc0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
>
> ...these medium not present messages.  Somehow, your drive seems to
> think twice about whether it's actually got a medium or not.  The way
> you invoke the mount command is irrelevant, but those messages are the
> indication of the evil that's going on.  Apparently, the drive finally
> makes up its mind if you ask it often enough (which incidentally
> happened to be an explicit call to mount_cd9660).
>
> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Burton Sampley
bsampley@best.com or bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
PGP key available at http://www.best.com/~bsampley/pgp.html