Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:59:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Drive Mirroring

I have two exact duplicate drives and I want the second (sd1) to be an
exact duplicate of the first.  Unfortunately ccd doesn't work here because
the drives aren't bootable, you cannot install on ccd drives from the cds
etc.  One way to accomplish this is to go to single-user, sync, and then
dd if=/dev/sd0 of=/dev/sd1 bs=1024k.  Unfortunately using this method on a
running system probably will corrupt the hell out of the copied over
filesystem.  I've also tried using dump, but for these 4.3 giggers it
takes about 2 hours every night to remake filesystems on the second drive
and dump | restore to it.  Can anyone think of a way I could maintain an
entire mirrored system without ccd, perhaps some software that nightly
looks at the changes on one drive and puts them over to the second without
basically rewriting the whole thing.