Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 10:53:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: daemon stories ( german customs )

> > Yup.  I have a sticker in the back window of my car (actually a Toyota
> > 4x4 with a shell) from my ISP.  They're pretty much a bunch of tech-
> > heads stuck (by their own choice) here behind the "Zion Curtain."  Some
>
> 	"Zion Curtain."????????
>
> 	know of Zion Gate, Mount Zion, but not "Zion Curtain."

In Utah and surrounding areas, the word Zion seems to be associated with
the Mormon Church, although I am not sure specifically how or why. The
major department store is named ZCMI (the Z standing for Zion), there is a
Zion National Bank and even a Zion National Park.

In the middle 1800s, Brigham Young led a great number of people to settle
near the Great Salt Lake.  This was and is a tremendously arid and
desolate region with no natural rivers to the ocean.  The land was
unwanted but by a few (everyone else at the time was anxious to get to
California).  The Mormons chose to irrigate and farm what was considered a
wasteland.

The early Mormons went through some difficult experiences -- a long
migration, near famine and even armed conflict with the U.S. Army in the
1870s -- and I am guessing there was a tendency to draw biblical analogies
with their experiences and hence the frequent use of the word Zion.

Charles Mott