Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 01:04:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bob K <melange@europa.humberc.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail: multiple alias files?

Hello, I'm new to this list.  To the meat of the matter:

I installed Majordomo on to a system running 2.2-971207-SNAP.  The
post-install documentation said to add the line:

O AliasFile=/etc/aliases,/usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo

to sendmail.cf .  I located the AliasFile option and added the majordomo
aliases file to it (so it matched the above), restarted sendmail, and
tested it.  The result?

Dec 18 19:19:29 pi sendmail[2069]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): hash map
"Alias2": unsafe map file /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo: No such
file or directory

I double-checked to make sure the file was there:

/usr/local/majordomo
-r--r--r--  1 bin  bin  4479 Dec 18 19:05 aliases.majordomo

I then tried the newaliases command, with much the same result (which I
probably should've done in the first place):

Dec 18 20:38:27 pi sendmail[267]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): hash map
"Alias1": unsafe map file /usr/local/majordomo/aliases.majordomo:
Permission denied

I then tried chown'ing the aliases.majordomo file to majordom:majordom,
with the same result.  I then tried chmod'ing it so it was writable by the
owner and group, with no success.  I then made it world-writable, and it
failed again (although with the error that the file was world-writable,
which is a good thing ;).  I eventually gave up and worked around it by
taking the relevant bits of the file and adding it to /etc/aliases.

So.

Is the proper way of adding multiple alias files to separate them with
comma's?  Searching though comp.mail.sendmail archives seems to indicate
that that's the way to do it.  Did I miss something obvious?  Would this
question be more appropriate for freebsd-stable?  Should I try updating to
the latest SNAP?

Note: This was the majordomo from the Ports collection, v1.94.4...