Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:44:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build the WWW

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Motoyuki Konno wrote:

> I wrote a Makefile to build the FreeBSD WWW.  Please send me your
> comments or suggestions.

Looks good.  I think we do need a better way of getting the ports
INDEX file though.  It would be nice if a new one was generated
on a regular basis by by a cron job, and made available via ftp
or http.  That would also help keeping the ports web pages in
sync with the ftp site.  When ports go away (for example, the
various now-obsolete permutations of samba), it can take quite a
while for that to be reflected in the web pages.

It might also be good to add a target for checking to ensure all
the necessary ports are installed.  In fact, this makefile could
probably be packaged as a port and then it could use the
BUILD_DEPENDS to ensure a complete toolkit.

If we get mirrors building their own web pages, that opens the
door to local tweaks, such as an option to run various CGIs
locally.

Also, as a slightly tangential topic, I would like to migrate
from /ja_JP.EUC/... URLs to /ja/... URLs.  Any objections?  Any
suggestions about the least painful (for mirrors) of doing it?
The best way would be to just move stuff to ja, and issue a
permanent redirect for ja_JP.EUC, but that requires that all
mirrors twiddle their server config.  I suppose we could install
a symlink from ja_JP.EUC to ja for a period of time, but web
crawlers and indexers will persist in using the obsolete URL and
do redundant indexing.

-john