Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 11:24:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vm_fault in tail(1)

Ok, here is an interesting problem for everyone, I try to tail a specifc
file on a CD that I burned, and tail(1) produces no output, and just
seg-faults, wihout a core dump, and the following errors are written to
syslog:

Jan 24 11:17:49 phoenix /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware)
error, PID 19547 failure
Jan 24 11:17:49 phoenix /kernel: pid 19547 (tail), uid 1000: exited on
signal 11

That sems to suggest there may be something wrong with my paging
partition.... only it is consistent with only that one file, and only on
the cd, I can cp(1) it to the /tmp partition and tail it fine (a diff of
th 2 files reports no diferences), and I use many memory intense
applications, tail is the only program on my system that is tickling this
problem.  Any suggestions (I am running 2.2-STABLE CVSUP-ed from a week
ago with no other problems, on a Pentium 133, with 64M of RAM)

--
David Cross
UNIX Systems Administrator