Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 00:06:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: they have mail

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 08:58:42AM +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> > I want to be notified (preferably by email) when mail arrives for a couple
> > of users on my system. This will be a rare event which needs a reasonably
> > quick response.
> >
> > I do not want to receive a copy of their mail, just know about it so I can
> > advise them.
>
> Thanks to all those who offered suggestions. They all made sense, and
> they all nearly worked. The most spectacular attempt so far
> (user:user,"|/path/scriptname" in /etc/aliases) resulted in errors of
> such magnitude (trying to forward to user called "|/path/scriptname")
> that root was sent a copy of the whole disaster... and root mail gets
> forwarded to me anyway so it was a kind of success :-)
>
> Well I'd better study up on this forward and script business some more,
> then maybe I'll see a way to delete the private message body before it
> gets sent to me.
>
> Meanwhile, bash seems able to check for other people's mail and that
> might be good enough. Still fiddling with that one...
Well, here's a suggestion.
You can have xbiff point at different files.
For instance, I have the various FreeBSD lists procmail'd to different
folders, so I have a script that does the following:
xbiff -geometry blah &
xbiff -file /home/fullermd/mail/f-questions -geometry blah
So, if you run xbiff as root, and point it at the user's mail file.  This
doesn't notify you, but it will beep on your screen.
I would bet that there'd be some way to do this with procmail; execute a
script of some sort when mail appears...
*shrug*  My $0.02.
The xbiff would still be sitting there staring at you whenever you got
back to the computer; that's the advantage.  I have 6 xbiffs on my screen
at the moment...  ;-)

Hope it helps!!
|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |