Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:11:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'Code Freeze'

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> If you want a stable release, then I cannot stress this strongly enough
> - GET INVOLVED NOW!

Not knocking this, but I've expressed concern over one upgrade problem
that I don't think is related to the compatibility slice change, and am
concerned because besides a workaround and a few "me-too"s (not as many
as I'd expect if this were a widespread problem, but I've seen it on
EVERY machine I've tried this on), I haven't heard the problem mentioned.

I pointed this out a month ago or so, and again when 2.2.6 went BETA, and
it was still there as of the 980315-BETA.  That is, when I upgrade, even
on a machine that was freshly installed using the same BETA, the disk
label editor comes up blank.  If you quit out of the label editor at
this point, you loose everything, unless you can remember exactly what
size/order your partitions were in. I've seen this on two IDE machines and
one SCSI (AHA2940UW) machine.

However, once installed, /stand/sysinstall's disk label editor doesn't
have a problem.

I've been out sick the last two days, so I haven't tried a more recent
BETA (will do that tomorrow, and let everyone know the results), but I
originally heard about a 10 day BETA period, and we're real close to the
end of that.