Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 22:36:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source code layout?

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> > Ok, we've got sys/pci for PCI devices which as near as I can tell is
> > fairly i386 specific
>
> Is that true?  But, AFAIK, all the Alpha machines I've found have PCI in
> them also.  I don't know enough to be really sure, but I'm skeptical of
> that claim.  It might be that the pci stuff is currently i386 specific
> only because out alpha port hasn't gone far enough.

AFAIK anywhere you see inb/outb/inw/outw you're fairly certain to be i386
specific.  (This from listening to the netbsd lits.)

> I am not going to comment on the rest (I don't know enough about it).

I've obviously only touched on the tip of the iceberg.  Continued reading
of the source shows large amounts of stuff (well, by percentage of the
stuff I've read) that could/should be re-organized.

We've got sys/i386/scsi with very little in it, no sys/i386/net and a lot
of junk in sys/i386/isa/ic which should be in sys/ic or sys/dev/ic or
something.

I suppose I should steel myself and just ignore all of this as I've no
time to task against doing anything towards resolving my complaints.

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/