Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:42:49 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Odd problem with ppp -alias ...

Morning...

	I just setup an 'internal, at home' network of two machines,
hooked together with a single 10baseT ethernet cable, no hub.  Machine A
(with modem) is configured as 192.168.0.1, Machine B is 192.168.0.2.

	Now, if I try to telnet from Machine B to A, with no default route
set, it works fine.  As soon as I set a default route for machine B to
point at Machine A, it no longer works.

	*If* I startup 'ppp -auto -alias <dialup server>', the routing
works fine *but* I'd prefer not to have to keep the connection up 24/7...

	I've gone over everything I can think of, but can't find anything
obviously wrong...when everything is up, I can telnet to remote hosts from
the 'hidden' machine, so everything appears to be fine...

	Both machines are running 3.0, one SNAP, the other about a month
old, if that means anything...?

	Thanks for any help you can provide...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org