Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 16:57:30 -0400 (CDT)
From:      Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@intranet.one.gov.cu>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

=======================================
Ing. Eliezer Rodri'guez Gonza'lez
Oficina Nacional de Estadisticas
E-mail: elie@intranet.one.gov.cu
Voz: 30-00-75; 30-50-21 ext: 254
=======================================

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> hello
> sorry maybe this is not a freebsd related problem but
> I do not know where else I can ask this question...
>
> at my office I want to expand my network with installing
> new hubs, how many hubs I can connect together?
>
> like this
>
> HUB------HUB------HUB-----...

You can connect up to four hubs in a daisy-chained fashion. I mean in a
serie, one exactly behind the other. Beware, the cable to connect one
hub to another is crossover cable, not a straight-through one.

Some brands states you can connect up to five, like Accton's.

I think this is call something like network diameter, for 10baseT network
it is 500 meters long. This means a host in the first hub can "talk" to a
host 500 meters away at the final hub of the chain.
In fact it is not compulsory to hook one hub to another in a serie, you
can use the topology you want as long as you respect the network diameter
and you use the proper cable.

Of course this can cause and increase collisions in your network,
decreasing the amount of available bandwith to a given host in a given
time.
Collisions occur because Ethernet is a share media network, hosts listen
to the cable (I mean NIC) to see if they can "write" their data to it.
When to host perform this at the same time a collision occurs and they
both deferred the operation a ramdom amount of time and everything begins.