Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 01:22:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI Drives

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Doug Russell wrote:

> Speaking of cooling, lots of fans are the hot ticket.  (get it?  :) )  It
> might make the machine a little louder, but your components will love you
> for it.  I just put the last couple in the server here in my office for a
> total of 6 fans (Counting the 1 CPU fan).  1 160 CFM monster in
> the front, and 4 standard 3.whatever-they-are inch on the back panel.

Being a big fan of trying to keep drives at room temperature while
sticking as many as I can in a colo machine that has to be small, I'd love
to see a picture of the box you described below.  For a long time we
shopped for "the ultimate PC enclosure" and it was always give and take.
Room for drives, horrid airflow.  Great airflow, room for two drives.
Grrr.

Anyone else here need to stuff lots of machines in a small space?  What
case do you use?  How do you keep things cool?

Our new build is most likely going to be a CalPC minitower, and I need to
cram four drives and a CMD RAID controller in there, which takes one of
the 5 1/4 slots up front.  The case is nice, it has vents available for
the front mount drives, the whole side of the case comes off easily, and
you can slide the whole mobo cage out the back.  What I really need now is
a small "drive cage" to mount on the bottom for a few more drives...

Thanks,

Charles