Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:24:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is there no info on the QPOPPER hack?

my god someone has a life...you sure you are one of us?

just my 2 cents, as someone who tries to juggle a life and my job.

and congrats on your wedding btw...

I always have one person to watch my machines when I'm gone, someone I
trust, someone I know is up to date on security issues. Facts remain is if
you get cracked, thats your responsibility. there are many tools that can
be used ahead of time proactively in these situations that make it easier
to clean up even if some damage is done. tripwire is one of them, make
sure you move the database onto a removable medium so that its
"read-only", then pack it away for safekeeping. Noone is faulting you for
getting hacked, but blaming the FreeBSD team is also not too rational as
well.

the auto-update is a scary thing, and I wouldn;t trust it, being
extra-paranoid about machines. I know you were on your honeymoon, but
isn;t there someone else that can take the reigns while you are gone? what
if something happens to you? and when you reinstall the machine, use
tripwire, maybe next time you won;t have to totally reinstall =)

-Pat

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking