Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 23:19:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (ASC)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

=>That executable would see a few things about what privileges it
=>was running with before trying to do nasty things.  No matter
=>what, it would then run the *real* program, so the user always
=>got the results that they were expecting to see.  All the
=>*real* programs were buried in a non-obvious directory.  So,
=>the nasty program would find out what path it was started up
=>as, and then just add /var/.hidden/non-obviousplace on to the
=>front of that pathname.  So, the exact same executable could be
=>used to replace all executables in a given directory.

This sounds exactly like what I was seeing.  After I regained
some presense of mind I thought it would have been nice if I
could have checked for something like that.  In fact, for all I
know, the "executable" I was looking at might have just been a
script.  Okay, okay, a 180-something-k script might be a little
excessive, but the point is I have no idea what was there.  I did
notice, though, that each command appeared to work properly even
though the command itself was exactly the same as all of the
other ones.

Lee