Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 15:51:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Search engine on web site flakey.

I have experienced poor results with the
http://www.freebsd.org/search.html search engine.  In particular, I have
used it many times over the past couple of years to look for information
in the mail archives.  For the last 9 months I have been subscribed to
many of the lists, and I specifically remember email messages that I can
not get the search engine to find.  Here are the problems I think I'm
seeing:

1) Threads seem to be disjoint.  If i find a message from a thread, I
can't find all of the messages that originally belonged to the thread.

2) Searches apparently don't include the mail headers in the search.  This
makes a whole slew of searches impractical.

3) Sorting could use secondary sorting, so that it would be possible to
find all articles by an author, sorted by date.

4) Limiting the number of results apparently causes the search engine to
stop as soon as it finds N results, then sort them.  Instead, all matches
should be found, sorted, then the first N displayed.

I'm guessing that 4) is the root of most of the evil I'm experiencing.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. Please keep me CCed, since I'm not subscribed to this list.

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Web: [http://www.canonware.com/~jasone]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]