Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:41:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <druber@mail.kersur.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quota panics

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> > > My SOP when doing anything related to quotas being turned off or on was to
> > > do it from single user and reboot b/t state changes.  Once the box was up
> > > the quotas were either off or on.
> >
> > Ick.  This is less than useful on a production machine :(
>
> Schedule reboots.

Depends on what the operation is.  If the admins can do setquota on
new or existing users with quotas on, it's much less of an issue
for me.

> I've been using quotas on various incarnations of the following machine
> since 2.0.5

Until fairly recently, quotas were useless for our web/mail servers,
since they didn't work properly for setuid programs.  This has been
fixed at some point in the last year or so (dunno exactly when, since
my PR was never specifically addressed).