Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:56:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Marco Molteni" <molter@tin.it>
To:        Guido Stepken <stepken@fss.firmen-info.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A better explanation (was: buffer overflows and chroot)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Guido Stepken wrote:

> This program is absolute nonsense. buffer overflows can be everywhere in
> a handshake of specific protocols (mail from: ...rcpt to: , smtp) and
> are found in many gets puts routines in the library and every bloody
> program, which makes use of such libs. Some programs are written without
> static arrays, which could be overflowed (8-) wietses new mail program),
> but with dynamic memory adressing. Those programs can not be overflowed
> by any trick, but it can result in heavy swapping and finally in a DoS
> attack. Kick him off ! This guy is unserious as well as your professor
> !!!!!!

Guido,

maybe I didn't explained well the situation, so I'll retry, ok?

I know what a buffer overflow is. I know that some buffer overflows can
be exploited to execute another program (eg a shell), and that, if the
program exploited is suid, you get a shell with the effective uid of the
owner of the file, as is obvious.

--> Automatic or not automatic (I don't mind how much automation there's
in all this affair) <--, there are many ways to find and try to exploit a
buffer overflow, right? Ok.

In my situation I have a *legitimate* user, call him Bob, who actively
searches such buffer overflows. He does it for research, and he isn't
unserious as you state, I assure you.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of anybody other than me being root on my
machines.

So my idea/question is: if I build a chroot jail for Bob, fitted with all
he needs (eg /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/libexec, etc) and I
replace all the suid root binaries with suid root2 binaries, where root2
is a normal user, he can do his experiments, but he can't get root.

Is my idea safe/right/doable?

Marco
---
"Hi, I have a Compaq machine running Windows 95. How do I install FreeBSD?"
"I'm sorry, this is device driver testing: brain implants are two doors
 down on the right". (Bill Paul, on the freebsd-net mailing list)