Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:51:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, luoqi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS: likely problem is vfs_bio.c rev 1.188

John Polstra did some leg work and found a few candidate commits which he
suggested backing out one by one to see if they affected the current
situation with NFS.

On the server I downgraded vfs_bio.c to rev 1.187 & rebooted; no luck.  I
then installed the same kernel (with the downgraded vfs_bio.c) to the
client.  Bingo.  With both NFS client & server machine running rev 1.187,
the problem so far as building XFree86-contrib from an NFS mounted
/usr/ports disappears.

As Chuck Robey noted, it seems like the client's writes are not completely
being committed to the server, which results in partially baked files
which are truncated.

Unfortunately -r1.188 -r1.187 doesn't apply cleanly, so there's some work
to be done by Eivind to adapt his subsequent commits if we were to say,
back out 1.188 prior to the branch.

-Chris