Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:15:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
Cc:        rcarter@pinyon.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error in vm_fault change

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, John S. Dyson wrote:

> > In Fall, 1997 someone here at CMU stuck a lottery algorithm scheduler into
> > FreeBSD, and wrote a paper describing where they had to make changes to
> > FreeBSD to allow for more pluggable schedulers.  They didn't attempt to
> > handle either real-time issues (and hence preemption for in-kernel
> > processes) or SMP, but it might be a useful read.  I'll see if I can dig
> > up a reference.  Allowing a pluggable scheduler via a kernel module would
> > be pretty cool.
> >
> I'd love to have a pointer to the paper...

John,

Here's a URL pointing to the document containing that paper:

http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/1998/abstracts/98-103.html

The project was done for the graduate level software systems class here,
so is with a collection of other papers/projects of varying degrees of
quality (some are better than others).  The one you're interested in is:

Proportional-Share Scheduling: Implementation and Evaluation in a
Widely-Deployed Operating System, David Petrou and John Milford, pp. 17-28

In the postscript document, it actually appears to start on page 20.

The abstract reads as follows:

This paper explores the feasibility of using lottery scheduling, a
proportional-share resource management algorithm, to schedule processes
under the FreeBSD operating system.  Proportional-share scheduling enables
flexible control over relative process execution rates and processor load
insulation among groups of processes.  We show that a straight
implementation of lottery scheduling performs worse than the standard
FreeBSD scheduler.  This initial result prompted us to extend lottery
scheduling.  Except for one test we run, our resulting system performs
within one percent of the FreeBSD scheduler.  We describe our design,
evaluate our implementation, and relate our experience in deploying our
lottery scheduler on production machines.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/