Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:34:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bbcc.ctc.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gateway Computers

I emailed three computer companies: Gateway, Dell and Micron, asking for a
quote for a developer machine.  I described essentially a high-end PC
workstation-class machine, and on the list of requirements was FreeBSD.  I
heard back from none of the companies.  One of them, I know that the email
was read because I received a CC of an email asking someone to address my
needs, not that they were ever addressed.

I must admit, I was hoping for at least a *rejection*...  As I'm looking
to buy a machine or two in about 5 months, I figured I'd start asking
around now to drum up support, but things don't look great.

If someone digs up contacts for these kinds of things, I'd be glad to call
them in my effort to find some workstations.

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Chris Coleman wrote:

> I just spoke with my contacts at gateway.  We are one of their major
> accounts, so they do take some notice of us.  I asked them about shipping
> computers with FreeBSD installed, instead of WinNT.  My contact is going
> to look up the person in the engineering department that I would need to
> send "Evaluation Copies" of FreeBSD to.
>
> (Jordan, I might need some FreeBSD CD's soon :-)
>
> She said that she hasn't had any demand for alternative OS's and didn't
> see it on their immediate software road map.
>
> Well, it looks like it is time to generate some demand, or at least some
> notice.
>
> You might suggest to your contacts at Gateway, (if you don't have any,
> make some) that it would be really great if they would ship their web
> servers with FreeBSD.
>
> Or, suggest that you would like to see "FreeBSD Certified" on their web
> pages.
>
> Since Dell is offering Linux, its probably a good time to focus on Gateway
> to get them to offer FreeBSD.
>
> 	-Chris

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/