Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:25:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Confusion

Read this with the understanding that in the grand scheme of FreeBSD, I am
a complete nobody. I'm just a consumer of the product and run a couple
servers on it. I'm not a kernel hacker, or a source code god of any sort.
	After following the discussion regarding the releases of product.
I am left <as a consumer>, wondering what is considered a sound product to
install on a machine. The frequency of CD releases leaves me wondering.
"well what was wrong in the last version they said was the next
kewlest thing". Was it hyped to much? was it a lie? And what is wrong with
a simple patch? I have machines running on 3.0 now that I am informed
should be upgraded to 3.1 ASAP. And 3.0 given the length of time it
has been out, would be considered NEW. I just would like to have a system
that I can install, and keep alive for a good period of time without every
person in every group answering my questions with "You need to upgrade
to the newest release". That is all fine and dandy for people that want
to track things closely. But, most people that use FreeBSD don't do
that. We are like any other consumer. Just wanting a product that will
withstand more than 3 months time. And is still supported on the site to
some extent.
	Come to find out, after installing my systems via ftp. I can't get
a 3.0 CD anyplace. I called cdrom.com and they said they stoped carrying
it as soon as 3.1 came out. This leaves people like me hanging out to dry
and wondering why it is this way. And, I am either blind or correct in
saying that 3.0-RELEASE is not on the ftp.freebsd.com server any more.
This to a consumer is very disheartening. It's like buying a car and being
told a month later that "it's not all that was advertised the month
before. And oh by the way. We're not carrying that model anymore".
	My question to anyone that would care to answer is this.
Is it advisable to upgrade my SMP machines that are running 3.0 to 3.1 or
do I wait for what is being called the fix for 3.1,   3.2 ?
It breaks some of the confidence in the product being used to read some of
these posts. To learn that the big hype of a product you just installed is
already being considered out of date and broken. Is 3.0 realy all that
bad? And if so, why was it ever considered for release?
Sorry if I ticked anyone off or spoke out of turn. Just would like some
stability in my OS of choice. I can't imagine what it must be like for
people even greener then me.

Thank you.
Keith