Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 00:13:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard Splash Screen?

I like that one with the red haze and the daemon silhouette.  Makes for
both a spiffy splash screen, a great screen saver, and a nice X desktop at
any resolution.  And slightly before I load up the StarOffice presentation
package to do a presentation, I get the gleefully answer the question "Why
is there a devil on your wallpaper?" :).

I also like the "wow, that's UNIX thing" after they see me log into kdm,
onto a desktop using kfm as a file manager and window maker as the window
manager (they seem to interoperate nicely).

And with StarOffice 5, the shock value is great :-).  BTW, I followed the
directions for SO5 on freebsdrocks, but there are some errors.  Anyone
know who I email about this?  (like some command/directory names are
wrong, et al).

But splash screens are great, as they hide a lot of nasty complexity that
most people don't need or want to look at.  There's a slight blip in
between the end of the splash screen and the beginning of kdm.  Anyone
have any thoughts on how to hide that?

Robert

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Anyone here would vote on any of the currently available art for a
> default boot splash screen? "Real Hackers don't use splash screens"
> votes also apply. :-)
>
> --
> Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
> dcs@newsguy.com
> dcs@freebsd.org
>
> 	"Well, Windows works, using a loose definition of 'works'..."

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/