Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 12:39:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake2

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Martin Cracauer wrote:

:In <owner-freebsd-multimediaATFreeBSD.ORG--Pine.BSF.3.96.990525144755.8079A-100000@beelzebubba.sysabend.org>, Jamie Bowden wrote:
:>
:> I got the quake3 arena demo running a while ago, and figured since I owned
:> a copy, it would be cool to get quake2 up and running, and bench it
:> against win98.  Well, I can run it in software mode in a window, but it's
:> only rendered on half the window (the right half is black).
:
:Wrong color depth.

Starting X in 8bit fixed softx mode.

:> When I try to
:> run it in 3dfx opengl mode, X switches modes, but my screen goes black,
:> and recovery isn't always an option.
:
:Sound like you're using the Mesa that come with quake2. Use the one
:from ports/emulator/linux_mesa. Shut down X before you start Quake2.

Running it from the console produces the following error:
Linux-emul(1995): ioperm() not supported

Which isn't a big surprise, since every post I read on quake2 under
freebsd says libvga mode doesn't work.

I've tried libMesaGL.so.2.6, lib3dfxgl.so, and libMesaVoodooGL.so.3.1  It
tries to run it on vt7, which refuses to be anything but an 80x24 text
mode console (there is no getty running on, quake2 can access it, just not
change it's mode).  quake3arena just runs.  I don't get it.  I really
don't understand why the quake3 test can just switch modes under X, when
it's barely alpha, and quake2 will not run in gl mode no matter what I do,
and it's supposedly at it's finished patch level.

My startup script for quake2 looks like this:

cd /usr/compat/linux/usr/local/games/quake2
./quake2 +set vid_ref glx +set gl_driver libMesaGL.so.2.6

Here's what I get when I try to run it:

Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (3307 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak1.pak (279 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
execing default.cfg
execing config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
ref_gl version: GL 0.01
R_SetMode() - CDS not allowed with this driver
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
./quake2: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libMesaGL.so.2.6: undefined symbol: XInternAtom

:> I have a Canopus Pure3d2 12M VooDoo2
:> card, and am Running 3.2-RELEASE.  I also went ahead and created a
:> libvga.conf file, and tried running it in console mode.  It starts on a
:> console, except the console is black, with a solid block cursor in the
:> upper left corner, still in 80x24 character mode.  Any clues?
:
:Also make sure you have the patched libvga from
:ports/emulators/linux_libs-2.6 or higher, not a native Linux one.

Got that, and the latest linux_glide, and the latest linux_mesa installed.

:See my usenet postings for more info.

Your usenet postings are all to the effect of 'It works'.  Not much help
there.

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)