Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:36:06 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        Rico Pajarola <pajarola@cybertime.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes from 2.2.6 to 3.2

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Rico Pajarola wrote:

> If you get "sendto permission denied" you probably have your firewall not
> initialized correctly. Do 'ipfw l' and see if there are any rules besides
> '65535 deny ip from any to any' (and the divert rule for natd, of course).
> Make sure you have firewall_enable="YES" in rc.conf. If you only want nat,
> and don't need any special firewall functionality (besides divert for
> natd), you can set firewall_type='open' (also in rc.conf). If you need
> more, get a book about firewalls, or search the archives, there has been a
> discussion about firewalls recently.

I'm using same rules. My default firewall rule is open, after start divert
rule it not work just for diverted packets.

Same rules (same file rc.firewall) in 2.2.6 work fine, using this file in
3.2 system with firewall enabled it doesn't work.

rc.firewall rules:
$fwcmd -f flush
$fwcmd add 1000 pass all from any to any via lo0
$fwcmd add 1010 deny all from 127.0.0.0/8 to 127.0.0.0/8
$fwcmd add divert natd log all from 192.168.200.3 to any via ed1
$fwcmd add divert natd log all from any to aaa.aaa.aaa.100 via ed1
$fwcmd add 65000 pass all from any to any

and natd start: "natd -a aaa.aaa.aaa.100"

This machine have got two newtwork adapter ed1 and ed2, ed1 is
192.168.200.3 and ed2 is aaa.aaa.aaa.100.

I've used same rc.firewall and natd options to avoid mistakes.

In this case I try translate my own IP. Are there any tcp/ip
modification to block this translation? I've seem natd used for
translation from some private network to one IP but not from own IP to
another IP.

Paulo.

------