Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:35:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH fails to allocate pty

Hi;
I just installed shh-1.2.6 on a 3.2-RELEASE machine and it was working
fine until yesterday when I started getting the error message:

frank sshd[4184]: error: openpty: no such file or directory
frank sshd[4192]: error: Failed to allocate pty.

This happens when I try to connect to the machine frank through ssh and I
see the following error on the machine that's trying to connect to frank:

warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.

and the machine terminal is locked / hangup and won't release the screen
even with a "^C" kill.

Dan