Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:21:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps on 4.0-current

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Oh for ACL's, privilige attributes, etc.  It would solve this sort of thing
> >nicely so that you could allow admin users to see what's going on
> >(including a ps -ax and see what the users are running) without having to
> >constantly (ab)use root and the dangers of overusing that.
>
> True, though it would seem that allowing certain capabilities based on
> membership in some (set of) group(s) could help just enough to get by --
> that is, so that the lack of the ACLs &c. never gets quite so painful
> that someone gets around to writing code to fix it.  :-{

The painful thing is getting ACLs into the underlying storage mechanism,
not writing kernel ACL support -- I've finished the framework in the
kernel, libraries, some userland utilities, and even default evaluation
routines for file systems to call.  I just don't want to screw around with
FFS storage and soft updates :-).  Given my current code, it would be easy
to extend procfs to use the ACL support -- right now all file systems
return EOPNOTSUPP for vop_getacl and vop_setacl, but you could easily tie
a struct acl to the pnodes in procfs and set the default ACL on /proc in
/etc/rc.something -- all children could inherit that ACL and the
permissions would be set correctly (i.e., u::rwx, g:operator:rx, etc).

I'll tar up my existing ACL code and make it available sometime this
evening -- it'll be downloadable from

  http://www.watson.org/fbsd-hardening/posix1e/acl

currently not useful for anyone but someone wanting to modify file systems
to support ACLs :-)  Also, it's modulo 3.3-RELEASE as 4.0-CURRENT was way
too unstable when I started work.

  Robert N M Watson