Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Tiemann <btman@ugcs.caltech.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with process limits

	Hi... I'm having a problem with a high-load webserver that I hope
someone can help me with.

	I'm running 2.2.6... the server is sustaining a pretty regular 30
httpd processes at any one time. However, when it spikes up to around 128
or so (total system processes over 160), I start getting "Couldn't spawn
child process" messages in my error_log.

	httpd runs as "www"; the www user is in a class called "www".
Here's the entry in login.conf:

www:\
        :path=/bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin:\
        :cputime=infinity:\
        :filesize=128M:\
        :datasize-cur=64M:\
        :stacksize-cur=32M:\
        :coredumpsize-cur=0:\
        :maxmemorysize-cur=128M:\
        :memorylocked=32M:\
        :maxproc=512:\
        :maxproc-cur=256:\
        :openfiles=512:\
        :tc=default:

	I managed to solve this using login.conf in 2.2.2, but I can't
seem to get it to behave here. Is there something I'm missing?

	Thanks!

Brian