Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Rodrigo Ormonde <ormonde@aker.com.br>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembler with FreeBSD

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Rodrigo Ormonde wrote:

>   Hello.
>
>   I have to write a few high speed routines in assembler to run on a
> FreeBSD box. I used to program in assembler to DOS, so I think I have the
> necessary knowledge to do it on FreeBSD.
>
>   The problem is that I realized that the mnemonics that gcc understands
> are different from the ones I'm used to. I'd like to know if there is a
> paper (or book, or something) that describes the gcc assembler mnemonics,
> or better, compares them to the ones used by TASM or MASM.
>
>   Please send a copy of the answer directly to me, I'm not on the list.

Use nasm in ports.  The syntax is closer to what you're used to, and
much nicer than gas'.  On top of that, nasm actually has a very nice
manual with it, it's extremely readable, and you may find (like me) that
nasm's syntax is in fact superior to tasm's or masm's.

You don't really want to use gas, because it was never made for human
use, just as a back end for gcc, and it's reactions to errors stink.

>   Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Rodrigo de La Rocque Ormonde
> e-mail: ormonde@aker.com.br
> Aker Consultoria e Informatica LTDA - http://www.aker.com.br
>
> --> Turn your PC into a workstation. Use FreeBSD <--

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).