Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:47:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      jfesler@gigo.com
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Service providing for virtual users

> > Maybe someone on the list knows of other options for the uploading of
> > pages.  People are working on standards-based methods for uploading
> > pages via http, but I don't think they are ready for prime time.
>
> What's the advantage to frontpage using mod_put and frontpage using
> ftp?

Simple, lusers are lusers.  It's bad enough they have to figure out
frontpage (domainname, username, and password is asking a lot! at least
for some users).  Trying to get them to correctly configure FTP
information *as well* is not exactly joyfull.

Anything using the web serving mechanism inherits a *lot* of information
automaticly - including directory locations ;-).  More, it's nothing new
for them to configure at all.

Whether you buy all this or not, is up to you :-). But, from my
experience, most of the people needing frontpage, really don't need
to have too much info, or else they are easily confused. And their
confusion turns into my loss of time..