Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:09:59 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   chat type program for automated dialling of a modem

Hello all,

I have an application that requires automatic dialling of a modem number,
then entry of a couple of parameters once connected. Chat can easily do
this, but it doesn't seem to be able to work by itself (if the man page is
anything to go by). You can't specify the device or speed on the
commandline, that seems to be passed on by pppd (?)

Is there anything similar to chat that will run by itself? I guess I could
use pppd with retries and timeouts set to 0 or 1, but that still produces
some extra junk in my log files (LCP timeout errors etc). A self contained
version of something like chat would be cleaner...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                     Sensation Internet Services, Melbourne Aust
fidonet: 3:635/728                                          +61-3-9388-9260