Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 15:18:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   vinum failure simulation not working

I am running 3.3-RELEASE and have two 18GB drives that I want to mirror.

I've set them up like this.

--- /etc/vinum.rc ---
drive d1 device /dev/da1e
drive d2 device /dev/da2e
volume mirror
   plex org concat
      sd length 17516m drive d1
   plex org concat
      sd length 17516m drive d2
--- end ---

I do these steps:

libra# vinum create -f /etc/vinum.rc

libra# vinum init mirror.p0
libra# vinum init mirror.p1

  Then wait till that finishes, and put these two lines in my rc.conf
     start_vinum="YES"
     vinum_drives="da1 da2"
  and then reboot.

  I notice that mirror.p1 is faulty and mirror.p1.s0 is reviving but
  there is no activity on either drive, so I do this:

libra# vinum start mirror.p1

  The drives start humming and after a while mirror.p1 is up.

  Next, I build a filesystem on /dev/vinum/rmirror:

libra# newfs -v /dev/vinum/rmirror

  and mount it

libra# mount /dev/vinum/mirror /mnt

  and copy some files to it

libra# cd /usr;find src/sys -print | cpio -pdm /mnt

  Then I stop mirror.p1

libra# vinum stop mirror.p1

  and commence to copy some more files

libra# cd /usr;find src.old -print | cpio -pdm /mnt

  All the copied files are ok, and 'vinum l' shows
  mirror.p1.s0 to be obsolete.

  I then unmount the filesystem, uncomment the lines out of
  rc.conf that start vinum, and reboot. Once it comes
  back up I have no vinum process running.

  Here's what I do. I disklabel da2 and change slice e back to 4.2BSD
  and build a filesystem on /dev/rda2s1e, copy some files to it ...
  I then unmount it, disklabel da2 and change slice e back to vinum,
  edit my rc.conf to launch vinum again, and reboot.

  Once it comes back up, a 'vinum l' show mirror.p1 as faulty, and
  mirror.p1.s0 as crashed. So I do this

libra# vinum start mirror.p1

  And mirror.p1.s0 changes to 'reviving', the drives are busy,
  all is good.

  I'm feeling brave, so I mount the filesystem

libra# mount /dev/vinum/mirror /mnt

  While it is reviving and have a look at /mnt

libra# ls -l /mnt

  and see my directories

total 2
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  512 Oct  2 14:31 src
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  512 Oct  2 14:33 src.old

  I keep doing 'ls -l' and after a while, src.old disappears.
  Then it reappears. It disappears again a while later.
  The files in src do the same. They keep appearing and
  disappearing, but the directory src is always there,
  just sometimes empty. The files in src.old which I
  copied after I downed mirror.p1 have never been visible.

  I've run this test several times with similar results
  and haven't yet been able to rebuild the mirror.

  Any hints or tips?

-

Barrett Richardson (my name)
barrett@aye.net    (my email address)