Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:34:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Expect more breakage (Re: ELF broke crunchgen/crunchide)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.02A.9809031151070.3219-100000@korin.warman.org.pl>,
> Andrzej Bialecki  <abial@nask.pl> wrote:
>
> > Today I tried to use crunchgen, and it fails miserably, because it plays
> > directly with a.out format. I guess we need to teach it about elves...

...and I should add to this, that other floppy-generation related tools
are also affected. E.g. ELF kzip doesn't work, because it tries to link an
ELF stub with a.out kernel.

I suppose that for the time being we have to put OBJFORMAT=aout into
src/release/floppies/Makefile, and src/release/sysinstall/Makefile. I hope
this is enough for crunchgen as well, because it has to make a.out
versions of (already built a bit earlier as ELF) some system programs...
We'll see if this works.

Anyway, don't expect your release build to complete successfully as it is
now...

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"