Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 22:45:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BootFORTH - demo floppy

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some people asked me to prepare a demo floppy for our new bootloader.
> Well, here's an early Christmas gift for you:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/bootldr.bin

It seems I should've been more descriptive in this announcement - some
people were at loss what to do with it...

So, let me add a little to this: this is of course a floppy image, and
you're supposed to dd it onto a floppy, and boot from it. It contains the
new bootloader, a bunch of helpful Forth words which can be used to build
a colorful startup menu, and the kernel is one of standard PicoBSD
kernels, so that you can use this for something real as well.

The built-ins I was talking about are the original bootloader commands,
such as set, show, load, boot, reboot, pnpscan, ls etc..., which need
closer integrations with Forth engine. Namely, they should recognize the
state (either interpretive, or compiling), and be able to accept
parameters either from command line (like: "load -t userconfig_script
kernel.config" when interpreting), or from the stack (like:

	s" kernel.config"
	s" userconfig_script"
	s" -t"
	load

when compiling). As it is now, we cannot use the full Forth power to
program booting behaviour because of this deficiency.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/