Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:52:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: FLAG DAY COMING (was Re: New aout-to-elf build failures.)

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Robert Nordier wrote:

> Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > === INCOMPLETE DRAFT ===
>
> > - The new bootblocks default to /boot/loader, but there are some problems
> >   for some people still.  This needs to be fixed, and either the new
> >   bootblocks need fixing or the old bootblocks need a cutdown and
> >   modified to fire up /boot/loader by default.
>
> Since early November (and up to and including an issue reported on
> -current yesterday), all apparent show-stopping problems with the
> new bootblocks have turned out to be due to configuration and/or
> pilot errors: where it has been possible to get further details.
>
> So if anyone still can't use the new bootblocks, there's almost
> certainly some simple and painless solution which doesn't require
> code fixes to sort out; and anyone who needs help is more than
> welcome to contact me.

Ok, here's my question: how do you replace functionality of kzip (which
doesn't work for ELF kernels) without loosing 120kB of disk space for
/boot/loader? In case of normal installations it doesn't matter, but in
case of a floppy... Thus far I was able to use kzip with a.out kernels to
save space on the floppy. Since we're going ELF with kernel, and kzip
doesn't work there, I'm now forced to use gzip and /boot/loader, which
takes about 100kB more than simply boot2 and kzipped (a.out) kernel.

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/