Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:03:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Erick White <erickw@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, David Schwartz wrote:

>	Right, this is progress. If you want the features of Kodak Advantix, you
>need an Advantix camera. And that means you need Advantix film. And of
>course, your film processor needs a machine that can process that film. To
>get the advantages of newer technological developments, you need a new
>everything. This is really evidence that Microsoft does not operate by
>locking people into inferior developments but actually by continually
>reinventing its products to keep them leading edge.

I agree.  But is it likely Kodak will 'revise' the advantix in 2 years,
and tell everyone their old cameras won't work with the new film?  A
revolutionary new film may come out once a decade.  Why should an OS
*require* an upgrade every 2-3 years?  There are still people running apps
on FreeBSD 2.2.5 and they work fine.

>	I still use Windows for my desktop machine and for the machines my kids and
>I play games on. It still works better. It's not a big deal if your desktop
>crashes. Servers are another story.

Not a big deal?  Have *YOU* ever lost important data because of a windows
crash?

Sure, a really cool sports car that breaks down a lot is not a problem if
you can have a tow truck follow you everywhere you go.

>	DS

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message

-jonathon