Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:43:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Still more dialin problems

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Bryce Newall wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Doug White wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you didn't enable the getty on that port?
>
> Oh, it's enabled, although after I wrote that message, I did yet more
> testing, and found something else out.  After the modem answers the line,
> the getty process dies, and a new one immediately starts up.  It's almost
> as if getty is calling login, but somehow failing, and then it just drops
> the DTR line, making the modem hang up.

If you have the modems call each other when you're in terminal mode, do
they connect ok?   I'm not convinced the modem isn't the source of the
problem.  It could be the modems are connecting then immediately dropping
due to broken settings in one modem or another.

Also, what's the line you have in ttys?

> [279]data@ds9:/home/data % ls /usr/bin/login
> -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  24576 Sep 14 21:38 /usr/bin/login*
>
> [281]data@ds9:/home/data % ls /usr/libexec/getty
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  24576 Sep 14 21:36 /usr/libexec/getty*

Look ok to me.

Doug White