Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:53:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, jabley@clear.co.nz, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

> > If we want FreeBSD to have any credibility as a workstation OS, we
> > need DHCP. It should be possible for a user or admin to smack in the
> > boot floppy, have it autoconfigure the selected network interface, and
> > perform an FTP installation.
>
> So, we'll import a pop server, apache, g77, ad nauseam
> to increase the credibility of FreeBSD as a workstation OS.

Here are the regular (dynamically linked) versions of the ISC client and
server:

phluffy% ls -l =dhclient =dhcpd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  86016 Nov 20 20:47 /usr/local/sbin/dhclient
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  90112 Nov 20 20:47 /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd

I built a static version of the WIDE client and server, both were only
around 140K.  What's the problem?  It's not like putting emacs in the base
install or anything.  I still run FreeBSD on a 386/40 with a 40M MFM main
drive, and even so I'm not worried about the "bloat" of adding DHCP.  Lots
of people have been asking about DHCP on the lists and the newsgroups,
probably because DSL/cablemodems are becoming more readily available (at
least in the US).

Windows comes with DHCP.  Heck, even my old Mac IIci running System 7.5.5
comes with DHCP.  It's small and increasingly useful, why not make it part
of the base distribution?  Or would you rather have FreeBSD be like
RedHat, where you have to install an RPM for just about everything?

Personally, I'd like to see DHCP in /usr/src because that makes it easier
to integrate with PicoBSD.

- Mike