Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 21:06:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infortrend RAID / Extending FBSD filesystem?

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Roger Marquis wrote:

> >   Sun reps still recommend Veritas over ODS.  Weird as that is.
>
> Profit motive no doubt, ODS being bundled and all.
>
> Sun's Volume Manager class covers all the details.  A solid week of
> SANs!  ODS for the root disk and VM for the SAN is a popular
> configuration.  I still prefer ODS for root and up to 2 (directly
> attached) arrays.

  I hate Sun reps.  They make a big deal about wanting to put together a
"solution", but then end up throwing together a bunch of parts.

> >   My favorite is still AdvFS from DEC though.
>
> AdvFS, I haven't seen that.  What advantages does it have over ODS or
> VM?

  Filesystems can share partitions.  For instance, /usr and /var can be
separate filesystems, but share the same storage.  This is great for
things like quotas.  You can add and remove partitions to the storage pool
as needed.  Plus, AdvFS is journalled, and supports ACLs.

  AdvFS is the filesystem, it isn't a volume manager.  DEC also uses LVM
for handling the storage partitions themselves.  Of course the lines
between the filesystem and the volume manager are getting very blurry.

> Much as I like FreeBSD, Sun is the way to go for large disk farms.

  Perhaps for the server itself, but Sun storage arrays seem very
overpriced (ie A5000 series).

> --
> Roger Marquis
> Roble Systems Consulting