Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rackmount Servers

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Len Conrad wrote:

> >   I wouldn't consider either Dell or Compaq propietary hardware,
> >especially Dell.  Dell is just a system assembler, they don't make any
> >components themselves.
>
> yes, but can you just slip out a Dell p/s or mobo and replace it with
> another non-Dell p/s or "standard" Asus/Abit ATX mobo. That's what I
> mean by "proprietary".  If I have to use Dell-brand mobo's, it's proprietary.

  Well, but there are certain advantages to Dell using custom
motherboards.  The basic Poweredge servers are better than anything you
can assemble yourself, because the moterboard is customized.  Plus the
addition of a built in hot-swap backplane (as opposed to ribbon
cables) makes them difficult to beat.

  Pretty much all redundant power supplies are propietary because the ATX
form factor isn't big enough to fit two redundant power suplies of any
decent capacity.  Beware though, many rendant power supplies out there are
complete garbage.

  Besides, Dell offers three years warranty on their components standard,
so why bother trying to replace something that is covered under warranty?
Pretty much everything is redundant anyhow.

Tom