Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:01:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, grog@lemis.com, wes@softweyr.com, scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, licia@o-o.org, jcwells@u.washington.edu, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Explorer and UNIX

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I'd rather live on the assumption that Internet Explorer has not invaded
> > the UNIX world.  even if they are on Solaris.  That way we can leave the
> > whole Microsoft channel out of the mix altogether and live in a life of
> > Happy Little Trees and the wonderful world of Not-Microsoft.

	I disagree.  If we want third-party software companies to create
applications for our platform, we cannot be totally anti-microsoft.  Even
if the company who is creating the software is against MS.  I note that
Microsoft's tactics are not the nicest in the world, but we have nothing
to fear of them - free software cannot be bought and shut down.

	Porting MSIE to Solaris and HP-UX was actually a good move for the
UNIX industry.  It shows the most popular OS vendor, making software for
an operating system it does not produce.  This has slapped suit's in the
face with ``Hey, whats Solaris?'' questions that will get them looking
at other systems.  When people start asking questions, things happen.

	I think I am going to go back to playing with IE on my FreeBSD
workstation right now (running it off the SPARC20 that is across the
office, to my display.)

--
Phillip Salzman
"I didn't break it, I swear!..."