Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:05:23 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Dima Ruban <dima@best.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM on FreeBSD (was Would this make FreeBSD more secure?)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Dima Ruban wrote:

> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > > I wonder whether it's too late to change /usr/include/security to
> > > something else like /usr/include/pam
> >
> > See the commit message.  John doesn't like it either, but there
> > are good reasons for it nonetheless.  Good enough for him to
> > exercise an option he himself found icky, anyway.
>
> Right. His argument was that it would be not the best idea in the world
> to hack each and every PAM module that we adopt.
> To me - I'd rather ifdef all this stuff than have /usr/include/security
> dedicated to PAM. I don't think we should repeat mistakes on some other
> operating system. Especially since you've mentioned that we're not taking
> modules from Linux (or at least not so many of them).

	Personally, I kinda like the fact that FreeBSD has finally joined
*both* Solaris and Linux in supporting PAM.  I realize that for most out
there, its a Linux vs FreeBSD sort of thing, but, if I remember my
research properly, PAM was a Sun-ism first, that Linux flew with, and just
by finally bringing it in, we open ourselves up to a massive amount of new
authentication mechanism...

	Of key interest to me is NDS/Radiusd authentication, as it is what
we use on Campus/work...now I can take what i've done with Solaris for
authentication and bring my FreeBSD machines up to speed with it :)

	Thanks loads John...work *long* overdue...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org