Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:35:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, java-port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK1.1.7.V98-12-21 released

On 22 Dec 1998, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:
> > This is merely a bugfix release.  The JDK now has fixes for all bugs
> > specific to the FreeBSD port.  (JDK bugs shared with the Solaris port
> > still exist...)  Thanks go to Keith White who provided most of the
> > bugfixes for this release.
> > [...]
>
> I have a few suggestions about the port:
>
>  1) install the source code under ${PREFIX}/jdk1.1.7/src instead of
>     leaving it packed
>
>  2) symlink  ${PREFIX}/jdk1.1.7 to ${PREFIX}/java
>
>  3) after installing the port, display (or point to a README
>     containing) instructions for setting PATH and CLASSPATH
>     correctly: ${PREFIX}/java/bin should be added to the PATH,
>     and the CLASSPATH should be set to ${PREFIX}/lib/classes.zip:.

Personally, I would not install the source code unpacked.  not everyone
has lots of disk space, and it's an optional part.  Many folks want to
snoop (you and me, for example) but putting a note to that effect in a
set of readme echoes, or maybe a readme file (README.FreeBSD in
$(PREFIX)/java perhaps, would be my suggestion) would do just as good,
and be seen by anyone who was curious enough to take a look.  I can't
imagine anyone who would look at source code, but not be curious enough
to find that.

Nate, your previous post alluded to a 1.2 port .... I'm extremely
curious now, is there any real chance of that?  I thought Sun hadn't
been willing to release the sources.  Is there any guesstimate on how
long that might take (correct to the nearest quarter, I'm not trying to
pin anyone down).

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).