Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:54:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wanton Atticizing is bad

  In the cleanups today, things were broken and irreplacable things deleted. For
instance, why was softmodem support deleted, ft support, and the if_eg 3c505
driver? If there's no replacement, unless it's an old SCSI driver, why should
it be deleted? Pcvt was deleted, but I'm willing to bet some people use it,
even though the syscons driver is going to be rewritten soon. When wcd was
removed, atapi.c broke, so the old WCD cruft should be removed and the line
#include "wcd.h" should as well. This is a good replacement though, as I've had
nothing but good experience with acd on my ATAPI CD-ROM drives, and wcd is
deprecated.
  However, sound is not deprecated. Luigi's snd requires the header ulaw.h from
the old VoxWare driver, but this can be easily moved over. The more important
things are:
	lack of probing printf, that all other hardware drivers have, however
		the sndstat support which has the correct kernel printfs is
		already implemented in sound.c:1309 (i.e.
		"pcm0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1:6")
	certain drivers with no replacement in VoxWare: MIDI and FM are both
		unimplemented. I cannot now use OPL/3 like I could before, nor
		the MIDI port
So for at least the VoxWare drivers, please reverse the removal. They are NOT
deprecated. As for the others, were there good reasons to remove them?

 Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org				      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
		      http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!		   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/